How to get your SA302 from HMRC if you’re applying for a mortgage

How to get your SA302 from HMRC if you’re applying for a mortgage

Currently, most lenders are now asking to see a copy of the HMRC SA302 forms covering the past two or three years of tax submissions if you’re a self employed person. I have summarised below why they are asking for these forms and how you go about getting them. 

However, before I start it might be useful to explain what they are!  The SA302 is a response from HMRC. Once you have filed a tax return, HMRC respond with a SA302 form which states how much tax you owe or have overpaid by. In lots of instances we find that applicants cannot provide this form when requested and a copy has to be ordered from HMRC.

Why are lenders asking for this form?

The SA302 is a brief summary of the income that has been reported to HMRC and the tax that is due as a result. Therefore, this form as issued by HMRC is an irrefutable certificate that documents exactly how much income is declared.  Lenders may ask for this document for any number of reasons but they are becoming more vigorous than ever in stamping out mortgage fraud (and quite rightly so!!). Declaring a higher income than one submits to HMRC is mortgage fraud. The SA302 is an accurate way to ensure the income declared on a mortgage application is correct. Our advice for any owner of a small business, or self employed person, is to order a copy of this form right at the start of a mortgage application and it is therefore ready if the lender subsequently requests it.

How to get the SA302 form from HMRC

In some instances your Accountant may have it on file, or you may have retained a copy when sent from HMRC. However, in the vast majority of situations we find that a copy needs to be ordered from HMRC as they don’t send them out as a matter of course.

Before you call, make sure you have a little time to spare and the information below to hand. The lines are often busy and you can find yourself on hold for some considerable time. 

You will need (sounds like a recipe!):

The Full Name of the person you want the SA302’s for (easy if it’s you)
Full current Address
Date of birth
10 digit individual tax code
National Insurance number (not essential if you have the 10 digit code above, but best to have both)


  • Be sure which tax years you need; I would suggest you request the last three tax years with the most recent ending not more than 18 months ago as this will satisfy most Lenders.
  • Unless you are the tax payer the HRMC agent will not discuss detail with you. So be sure returns have been filed for the years figures you need.
  • HMRC will post the SA302’s only to the registered address.  They quote 7-10 days but it can take longer.  This is why I would recommend ordering it straight away rather than wait for a lender to potentially request it.
  • You can ask HMRC to fax the document to you, or directly to your broker or accountant – but always ask for it to be posted as your mortgage broker will usually be required to certify that they have seen the original. So although a faxed copy can be used to confirm figures and give some guidance to work from – an original will be required.

The SA302 phone number is 0300 200 3310

It’s worthwhile telling HMRC it is needed for a mortgage application and ask for the copy to be faxed urgently, they are then likely to do it much more quickly than they might otherwise. It really isn’t an unusual request, they’ll be asked for these every day!

Hopefully this will help ensure your mortgage application proceeds as quickly and as smoothly as possible!

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.